ECCLESIASTES 8

'Who is as the wise man? and who knoweth the interpretation of a thing? a man's wisdom maketh his face to shine, and the boldness of his face shall be changed.' -Ecclesiastes 8:1

'The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.' -Proverbs 9:10

'Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.' -Matthew 5:16

'A man's wisdom maketh his face to shine.' I LOVE that statement. Reading that reminded me of Moses coming off the mountain and his face shining so brightly that it had to be covered. Moses didn't notice the change in his appearance, but everyone around him noticed. The presence of the Lord made his face to shine. You cannot be in the presence of the Lord without being changed.

Wisdom comes from the Lord. 'The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.' Daily time with Jesus is a critical part of our daily walk. It is life changing! The writer of the Ecclesiastes Wisdom for Living Well Bible Study wrote: 'Just as a child is a reflection of his parents, we reflect our relationship to our Father God by displaying His wisdom in our lives. Our time spent with the Lord will not only affect our physical appearance, but our character, our attitude, and our daily walk with Christ as we obey His Word, and share it with others.'

If you know us, you know without any doubt that my kids look just like their Daddy. I don't know about you, but when people look at me, even without me having to say a word, I want them to know that I am a child of God. I want my life to reflect my Father. AND then, when I do open my mouth, I still want to reflect my Father.

In verses 2-9, Solomon is talking about being obedient to those in authority. Something that seems to be foreign in this day. It is a sermon in and of itself.  God has set an order to things. We are to respect that God given order. Romans 13 also hits on being obedient  to those in authority. I am just putting that out there in case you want to go read it. 😊

Verse 8 is a reminder that even though there are to obey those in authority, we must also remember that God is the ultimate authority. God is the one who has power over the spirit. Man, even in authority, has a limit. 'There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.' (vs 8)
Image result for Romans 14:12
When we read verses 11-14, we see Solomon pondering something we have all pondered at some point. Why do good people struggle/hurt/leave us too soon, while the wicked seem to go unpunished? The wicked think they are fine because they have not faced a penalty and they keep on doing evil. We, as Christians, sometimes even ask God how long until he makes them answer for their wickedness.  We can be left with so many unanswered questions at times. Never doubt that God IS keeping a record. We will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ one day. 'Though a sinner do evil and hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him: But it shall not be well with the wicked, neither shall he prolong his days, which are as a shadow; because he feareth not before God.' (vs 12-13)

Solomon closes chapter 8 with this verse: 'Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labour to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea further; though a wise man think to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.' (vs 17) Who can understand the beginning from the end? Who alone knows ALL things? We can try to figure it all out and search out every way 'under the sun', but we will be left empty and still troubled in our spirits. The work of God is beyond human comprehension. He alone is Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. He is our God and there is none like HIM.

Image result for who can know the ways of God

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus IS My Shield

I had a refresher in learning a little bit about the Ozone with my kids. I’m sure I learned about the make up of oxygen and the ozone in sch...