ECCLESIASTES 7





'A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth'  -Ecclesiastes 7:1

Solomon tells us in the first part of verse 1 that a good name 'is better than precious ointment'. We meet a lot of people along life's journey. There are some names we hear that (let's just be honest) make our eyes roll. There are names we hear that bring a smile. Other names can bring laughter or even tears. The choices we make in life build our name. The way we treat people are building blocks in building a good name. How can you build a good name? A good name is important for a child of God. We are representing our Father after all.

The second half of verse 1 makes a statement that can potentially catch you off guard. Why or How could death be better than birth? The contrasts of what we view as happy times and sad times continue through verse 4. Solomon says it is better to 'go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting'; and that 'sorrow is better than laughter'. What in the world? Who would rather mourn than feast? And who would prefer sorrow over laughter? 

Image result for Ecclesiastes 7:3I took those statements and referred back to the first part of verse one.  It takes some living to build a good name. On the day of our birth, our physical characteristics are seen, but what is in our hearts (our character) will be a continual process through life.  A process through the good times and the bad times of life, and from the day to day choices we make.  Our character is built by either hardening our hearts or by allowing God to keep our hearts tender. It reminds me of how my Heavenly Father is my Potter and I am the work of his hand. The goal is that the day I leave this world (my dying day), that I am a finished work. My life is a process of being molded. The molding (sometime even remolding) and refining process is not comfortable, but it makes for a beautiful vessel. Solomon already told us that there is a season for everything. I want to allow the sorrowful times and the times of mourning in my life to be seasons that shape me into the beautiful vessel God wants me to be for his glory. I want him to be proud of me when I stand before him. It is well summed up in verse 8, "Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit."

Image result for proverbs 25:28 kjvVerse 9 gives a warning, 'Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.' We have to have self control.  As a mom of boys, I feel like I harp on this daily with them. And I honestly have to work on it with myself as well. ☺ You cannot control everything that comes your way in life, but you can control how you react. People are watching your life to see just how you react to the different circumstances that come your way.  Are you quick to give people a piece of your mind? Do you have a short fuse? You are never and 'off duty' Christian. Who do your represent with are your actions? Your life radiates someone. Am I drawing people to the Savior or turning them away?

'Wisdom is good with an inheritance: and by it there is profit to them that see the sun. For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.'  (vs 11-12)  I think, that Godly wisdom is to knowledge what the soul is to the human body. It is that thing you can't see or completely explain, but without it, we have no life. We read in 2 Corinthians 7:10 that 'Godly wisdom worketh repentance.' True repentance transforms your life.
Image result for if any man lack wisdom

I like what the Benson Commentary says about verses 11-12: 'Wisdom is good — That is, very good; the positive being put for the superlative, as it frequently is in the Hebrew text; with an inheritance — When wisdom and riches meet in one man, it is a happy conjunction, for wisdom without riches wants opportunities and instruments of doing that good in the world which it is willing and desirous of doing; and riches without wisdom are like a sword in a madman’s hand, and an occasion of much sin and mischief both to himself and others. And by it there is profit — By wisdom joined with riches there comes great benefit to them that see the sun — That is, to mortal men; not only to a man’s self, but many others who live with him in this world. For wisdom is a defence — Hebrew, is a shadow; which in Scripture signifies both protection and refreshment; and money is a defence — Thus far wisdom and money agree; but the excellency of knowledge — But herein knowledge or wisdom excels riches, that whereas riches frequently expose men to destruction, true wisdom doth often preserve a man from temporal, and always from eternal ruin.'

Image result for in him i live breathe and have our being
'Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?' (vs 13) We cannot change what God has set in order. He made worlds without end. He is the beginning and the end. The first and the last. He set it all in motion. God is in control of it all. And yet he made us with a free will.  Our free will can bring us life, or eternal torment.  Godly wisdom tells us to look to God for our direction in life and for our purpose in life. It also tells us that this vapor of a life we all live here, is not the end. This life is not eternity. It is preparation for eternity. My daily goal should be to allow him to have complete control in my life. I want Jesus to have free reign in my heart. 

God sets balance in our lives by allowing good times and trying times. If there were only good times, we may get high minded and think we have life by the horns. Trying times tend to remind us that we really can't do life without Jesus. Both prosperity and adversity are blessings in our lives. Verse 14 says, 'In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.' It reminds me of the song we sometimes sing, 'There is none like you! Jesus, no one else can touch my heart like you do.  I could search for all eternity long and find, there is none like you.'

The rest of this chapter tends to bring us back down to reality. It remind us of our human nature. In our quest for wisdom, we do not want to become self-righteous. Self-righteousness is a stench in the nostrils of God. We will never know as God knows. 'For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.' ( 1 Corinthians 13:12) 'Wisdom strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in a city.' (vs 19) Now comes the balance to verse 19, 'For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.' (vs 20) Romans 3:23 reminds us that 'all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.' We are flesh and 'the carnal mind is enmity against God'. (Romans 8:7) We are easily side tracked and start chasing the wind. Solomon allowed women to distract his heart from the Lord. Verse 29 says men seek out many inventions. We must come aside daily and spend time with our Lord. Paul said it best in 1 Corinthians 15:31, 'I die daily.'

Image result for john 12:24





No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus IS My Shield

I had a refresher in learning a little bit about the Ozone with my kids. I’m sure I learned about the make up of oxygen and the ozone in sch...