~The Door~

John 10:7
… Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 10:9-10
I am the door: by me if any man enter, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I have wrestled most of the week with this blog. I don’t know why. I have had a lot on my mind, but I keep going back to the discussion we had in Sunday School about the importance of a door. Cindy (our Sunday School teacher) pointed to one of the doors in the church, opened it and asked the purpose of the door. What if the door wasn’t there? One person said they pictured just a solid wall, not even an opening for a door. That is what I thought at first too. If there was no door or opening, there would be no way into the building. Others thought of an opening with no door and those suggestions were that the elements could get in, burglars could easily gain access, that if there was only an opening that those seeking refuge could easily gain shelter. They were all great answers that led me to my conclusion.

Just for a moment see yourself as a building. The Bible tells us we are the temple of the Holy Ghost. If we have no door and just an opening, we become vulnerable to everything Satan attacks us with or tempts us with. If a building has no door and only an opening, the rain is going to come in and the snow is going to blow in, animals are going to make their home there and burglars can come in at anytime and rip the place apart. All of these things over time will rot and destroy the building. It can no longer be a place of refuge. If there is a solid wall and no opening at all, those that we are meant to reach or be a refuge to cannot gain access. We may be this strong building that keeps all the elements out, but what good is a building that cannot be used. We must have a door and we must use the door. We can’t just leave it open and let anything and everything in, but we can’t keep it locked up either.

Jesus refers to himself as the door in John chapter 10. He is our door to heaven. When the door of the ark was shut, God shut it and no man could open it. If Jesus is the door keeper to our temple, we can’t fail. He will keep our building strong and clean and he will open the door when we are meant to be used by Him. Are we ready to allow Jesus to be our door keeper?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus IS My Shield

I had a refresher in learning a little bit about the Ozone with my kids. I’m sure I learned about the make up of oxygen and the ozone in sch...