ECCESIASTES: The Aurthor

The writer does not call himself by name in the book of Ecclesiastes. However, it is believed by most that Solomon is the writer. In 1:1, he describes himself as the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem. He says in 1:16, 'I am come into great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.' Verse 9 of chapter 2 says, ' So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me.' And in 12:9 he describes himself as wise, as a teacher, and as the writer of many Proverbs. If we compare that to I Kings 4:29-34, you find the description of Solomon to be extremely similar.
‭‭1 Kings‬ ‭4:29-34‬ :
“And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore. And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt. For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about. And he spake three thousand proverbs: and his songs were a thousand and five. And he spake of trees, from the cedar tree that is in Lebanon even unto the hyssop that springeth out of the wall: he spake also of beasts, and of fowl, and of creeping things, and of fishes. And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom.”

If you read Ecclesiastes 2:4-10 and 1 Kings 10:21-27 you will find the same similarities of Solomon's wealth.
He was a man of great wisdom and great wealth. From all appearances, he had it all. And yet in all the wealth and in all of man's wisdom and knowledge, he was not fulfilled. He wrote the book of Ecclesiastes for generations to come, for us, so that we would not have to spend a lifetime of emptiness searching to find the only source of meaning and purpose for our lives. We can learn from his reflection on his own life. In Ecclesiastes we will find practical wisdom and spiritual wisdom that will hopefully lead us to seek fulfillment and even true happiness in God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus IS My Shield

I had a refresher in learning a little bit about the Ozone with my kids. I’m sure I learned about the make up of oxygen and the ozone in sch...